Yaezakura

Friday, October 6

Memoirs

One of my favorite books is Memoirs of a Geisha. When the movie came out, I was delighted and rushed to the theater something I never do. Though I loved the scenery and costume, I knew very little about Japanese culture. But after taking the class, Art in China, Japan, and Korea last year, I learned that the Japanese had an affinity for imperfection. Instead of the dauntingly idealistic white ceramics of China, the Japanese far more appreciated the slightly crooked and hand-painted Korean celadons. So what was the whole geisha phenomenon about? As I see it, geisha were figures from a separate realm. Their white faces, red lips, and fragile bodies wrapped in layers of expensive silk made them seem like representations of perfection. Perhaps they were to represent a foreign world where men would whimsically submerge themselves to escape from the reality of everyday life. But then again, how accurately did Spielberg capture contemporary Japanese culture?

I am especially fond of Sayuris dance scene right before her misuage bidding. The entire scene is just so exotic and mesmerizing. The nearly fluorescent lighting brings out the contrast between her white kimono and her insanely high and blocky slippers. What does the height mean? Are they equivalent to modern-day western high heels and does the height also add to the whole concept of feigned perfection? And what about her dance movements? Sayuri nearly glides onto stage with her platform slippers, teasing the crowd with smooth, gentle movements and slight displays of the naked skin on her hands and wrists. But then she is suddenly swooped up into a frenzied yet passionate whirl of movement that seemingly represents the north wind. She waves her arms like a windmill and throws her body into a rushed motion before coming to a pit stop. She collapses onto the ground before again taking up soft and calculated movements. Then, of course, the crowd goes wild.

I think this is one of my more favorite scenes because I still havent figured it out yet. Ive watched the movie countless times but every time I watch Sayuri dance I still wonder who choreographed the steps and whether the dance is genuine to Japanese culture. What is the meaning of the slow to frenzied and back to slow movements? Perhaps the chaotic part of the dance is a climax that shows people a figment of a hidden world of passion and overwhelming emotion. And the conclusion is a toned down step that slowly drags people bag to reality like a ticket to and from the clandestine world of a geisha.

Until I can better grasp the meaning to Sayuris complex dance, Im just going to have to watch the movie again and againnot that I mind really.

1 Comments:

  • At 10/06/2006 09:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    おはようございます。I haven't read or seen "Memoirs of Geisha", but the story took place in Kyoto (わたしのうちです), isn't it? きょうとでげいしゃをみました。I haven't seen them dance, though---they were just walking around in town. They do Japanese traditional dance which they have to learn from masters before they debuit as Geisha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home